OPTION A – LIMITED LIABILITY
As a licensed common carrier, we are required to provide limited liability coverage at no charge to the customer. Under this option, in event of loss or damage, maximum limited liability is $0.60 per pound, per article.
OPTION B – FULL VALUE PROTECTION
JORDAN RIVER Full Value Protection (FVP) provides the highest level of coverage for your personal possession. After the Deductible is applied, the coverage will guarantee replacement of articles due to loss or damage while in carrier’s custody, reimbursement for full replacement cost (as determined by current market value), or repair a damaged item to the extent necessary by whichever means cost less. FVP will be subject to the shipment being declared or released at a minimum lump sum value of $20,000 or $5 multiplied by the net weight of the shipment in pounds, whichever is greater.
Under both of these liability options, movers are permitted to limit their liability for loss or damage to articles of extraordinary value, unless you specifically list these articles on the shipping documents. An article of extraordinary value is any item whose value exceeds $100 per pound ($220 per kilogram). These option levels of liability are not insurance agreements governed by State insurance laws, but instead are authorized under Release Rates Orders of the Surface Transportation Board of the U.S. Department of Transportation. In addition to these options, some movers may also offer to sell, or procure for the shipper, separate liability insurance from a third-party insurance company when the shipper releases the shipment for transportation at the minimum released value of 60 cents per pound ($1.32 per kilogram) per article (option 1). This is not valuation coverage governed by Federal law, but optional insurance regulated under State law. If the shipper purchases this separate coverage and the mover is responsible for loss or damage, the mover is liable only for an amount not exceeding 60 cents per pound ($1.32 per kilogram) per article, and the balance of the loss is recoverable from the insurance company up to the amount of insurance purchased.
Additional insurance can be purchased through the following companies:
- Movinginsurance.com – customer can go on line and purchase additional insurance.
- TG International (TGI) – salesperson can provide customer proper forms and fax them to TGI
Note: Additional insurance must be purchased 2 days prior to the packing and/or move date.
* Hawaii and Alaska are considered international moves and these rates will not apply.
NOTE A: The charges for valuation in excess of $100,000 will be determined by your sales representative, please call our office for these rates.
NOTE B: On a shipment, or portion thereof, which also involve storage-in-transit, an additional storage-in-transit valuation charge will be added. The price will be .25 per $100.00 of value for each 30 day period.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO OPTION B
The minimum declared shipment value under FVP is $20,000. Although the minimum is necessary to purchase FVP, it may not be all you need. It is the customer’s responsibility to choose the proper amount of coverage. If the full value declared shipment value is not taken, a penalty will be incurred based on the ratio between actual cash value and the declared shipment value. Example; if $32,000 worth of goods were moved, yet only $16,000 worth of coverage was purchased, the payment for any damage would be adjusted downward by one-half ($16,000/$32,000).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Valuation coverage is not insurance. Valuation is a tariff level of carrier liability in the event of loss or damage of your goods while under course of transit by JORDAN RIVER. This type of coverage is unique to carrier alone and therefore it is important for the customer to understand what valuation does not cover.
THE COVERAGE AFFORDED ABOVE DOES NOT APPLY TO:
- Act of god (earthquake, flood tornado, etc)
- Hostile warlike action or acts arising from riots, civil commotion, strikes, or labor disturbances.
- Any article of extraordinary nature of value, Antiques, fine art, painting, statuary, and similar articles, which by their inherent nature cannot be replaced with new articles; or articles whose age or history contribute substantially to their value. This includes, but is not limited to: memorabilia, souvenirs, and collector’s items. Unless a special agreement has been stipulated to do so. Including but not limited to jewelry, furs, stocks, bonds, cash, antiques, and art collection. Any article of extraordinary nature/value must be identified separately on an inventory that must be included with the bill of lading
- Loss or damage resulting from wear and tear, moths or vermin, dampness of atmosphere or extremes of temperature.
- Acts or omission of the shipper, such as neglecting to prepare for time of the move.
- LCD & Plasma TV’s, Motorcycles, Internal electric or mechanical item, whether packed or unpacked by JORDAN RIVER or the shipper.
- Loss or damage consisting of breakage to fragile items, such as china, glassware, etc, unless packed by JORDAN RIVER or caused directly by fire, theft, collision, or overturn of transport vehicle.
- JORDAN RIVER will not be responsible for any damage to or items within PBO boxes or to any press wood furniture.