Moving can be an extremely challenging and stressful experience, and picking the right time to undergo this process can make a major difference. Many people prefer to move during the summer months; it is only natural as that offers many advantages. However, it may be surprising to hear that moving in the winter months can be the ideal time to move for many different reasons.
When Is the Best Season To Move?
The best season to move ultimately depends on a few different factors, like a personal situation, budget, and personal preferences. The popular choice is to move during the off-season, which is considered mid-September through April. Moving during the off-season offers more availability and scheduling flexibility when going through professional movers. With more availability and fewer shipments, your items are more likely to arrive on time or quicker than during the peak season. In addition to flexibility and availability, the price is typically the cheapest in the winter months as well.
Best Months to Move
The best months to move are typically considered to be November and December. These two months are usually the best as the moving companies are the slowest, and many people do not want to move during the holidays. Because of these factors, the rates are usually lower, and ultimately, more resources are available to move.
If the main concern is cost, a great time to move is September through April, which is considered late fall through early spring, otherwise known as the winter months.
Things to Consider about Moving in the Winter Season
Despite the fact that moving in the Winter offers many advantages, there are a few things to consider before you begin the move.
- Flexibility – given the fact that you are moving during a time when winter weather can be unpredictable, you must be prepared to be flexible. It is vital to keep an eye on upcoming weather.
- Packing in Advance – it helps to pack your non-essential items in advance so you are able to move them at a moment’s notice.
- Prepare the Home – make sure you clear your walkways and driveway of all snow and ice to ensure it is safe to move your items.
- Protect Your Belongings – make sure your items are wrapped in plastic or waterproof material to protect them from winter weather like snow and rain.
- Communicate With Movers or Truck Rental – maintain contact with your movers or rental truck company in case you need to make changes to your plans.
Winter Moving Tips
If you are planning on making the move during the winter months, there are many tips to remember when preparing to move. With proper planning and preparation, a middle-of-winter move can move smoothly and stress-free. Here are some of the most advantageous tips to remember when moving when it is cold outside.
- Keep an eye out for inclement weather, and make sure you adjust your plans if necessary.
- It also helps to start moving your items early in the day as there are fewer daylight hours for a winter move.
- Pack an emergency kit that includes winter supplies like warm clothing, blankets, and a first aid kit.
- Hire professional movers to both load and unload your belongings. Moving companies will have much more experience moving in the Winter, meaning they will be equipped to deal with any hiccups that could occur.
- Wear many layers when moving to stay warm; it is always easy enough to take your clothes off!
- Keep clean sheets and pillows ready to go along with your winter gear, so it is prepared for moving day.
The Pros of Moving During the Winter
There are a number of advantages to moving in the winter months:
- Companies are much less busy, leading to lower rates and higher availability.
- Storage facilities are considerably less during the winter months.
- The winter months offer some of the lowest real estate housing market costs.
Disadvantages to moving in the Winter
Although there are many advantages to moving in the Winter, there are quite a few drawbacks as well.
- Weather is unpredictable in the Winter, meaning you may have to change your moving plans multiple times if you hit bad weather.
- If You Have School-Age Children, moving during the school year could be complicated if you have to change schools.
- Safety Hazard – going along with unpredictable weather, if you are traveling in poor weather conditions, you could experience dangerous driving conditions. This could include extreme cold or snowy or icy conditions.
- Holidays – depending on when you are moving, you could end up missing out on the holidays, which is always an already busy time of the year.
Contact Jordan River Moving for Winter Moving and Storage
Moving in the winter season is actually one of the most beneficial times of the year to go through the moving process. Availability of moving companies is high, rates are significantly lower, and even storage facilities are cheaper during this time of the year. If you plan to move in the winter months, it is imperative to follow the different tips and strategies to make sure the process is smooth and efficient.
For those who have an upcoming move, consider contacting the professional moving company Jordan River Moving & Storage. We offer many different moving services, which include local moving, long-distance moving, international moving, and even commercial moves. With our experience and expertise, we can make sure your move goes flawlessly. For a free quote, contact us here to get started.